What is Probate?
Probate is the process of obtaining the legal right to administer another person’s estate (everything they own) after they have died.
The executor of a Will must submit an original Will, death certificate, Inheritance Tax forms and a probate application to the court to obtain a Grant of Probate. A Grant of Probate is a document that confirms an executor has the legal right to manage and distribute someone’s estate in accordance with their Will.
When there is no Will, a deceased’s personal representatives (usually their next of kin) must apply to the court for Letters of Administration.
For families who are grieving, managing the financial and legal affairs of a loved one can be overwhelming. An experienced probate solicitor can offer support throughout the probate process.
Our probate solicitors at Blossom Law hope to ease the burden of estate administration by providing a sympathetic and professional service.
Work included and key stages
Our fees include obtaining the grant of probate, collecting assets and distributing them. The precise work and stages involved in a probate matter vary according to the circumstances. However, we have set out the key stages involved in a typical probate matter:
- Take your instructions and give you initial advice.
- Identify the legally appointed executors or administrators and beneficiaries.
- Establish the extent of the estate by identifying the various assets and liabilities.
- Identify the type of probate application required.
- The application for Grant of Probate is prepared and then sworn by the executor and submitted to the appropriate Probate Registry together with the Will, if there is one.
- Once the Grant is received, it is submitted to the various organisations with whom assets are held in order to start the process of transferring the assets into the beneficiaries’ names.
- All estate liabilities have to be paid before the estate can be distributed among the beneficiaries.
- Confirmation is required that tax is paid up to date and there are no outstanding HMRC claims.
- Estate accounts should be prepared thereafter, and the estate distributed in accordance with the terms of the Will.
Blossom Law fees
Legal fee: £2,500.00 – £4,000.00
VAT: £500 – £800
Electronic ID Checker (per Executor): £8.00
Bank telegraphic transfer fee: £25.00
Total cost: £3,533.00 – £4,833.00
Our fees include obtaining the grant of probate, collecting assets and distributing them.
The above quote is based on an estate where:
- There is a valid will.
- There is no more than one property.
- There are no more that 10 bank or building society accounts.
- There are no other tangible assets.
- There are no disputes between beneficiaries on division of assets.
- There is no inheritance tax payable, and the executors do not need to submit a fee account to HMRC.
- There are no claims made against the estate.
Fees payable to third parties (Disbursements)
Probate Application fee: £160.00 No VAT
Swearing of oath fee: £15.00 No VAT
Post in the Gazette fee: £62.15 VAT: £12.43
Post in a Local Newspaper: £185.00 VAT: £37.00
Services not included within our Quote
Our service will not include any of the following:
- Any contested probate matters or advice on the same.
- Advice on tax or other accounting matters.
- Advice on asserts held outside the UK.
- Dealing with the sale or transfer of any property in the estate.
Factors that could increase costs
In some circumstances we may increase our fees to account for additional time, work or skill required to meet your instructions. Examples include:
- If there were no Will or the estate consist of any shareholdings (stocks and bonds) there is likely to be additional costs that could range significantly depending on the estate and how it is to be dealt with.
- If any additional copies of the grant are required.
- Any other significant factors such as contested estate.
Approximate / average time scales
On average, estates that fall within the quote range are dealt with within 4 to 12 months. Typically, obtaining the grant of probate takes 3-6 months. Collecting assets then follows, which can take about 3 months.
Please contact us today to see how we can help.
We found the level of service from Shennell and all at Blossom Law Solicitors outstanding and I would have no trouble in recommending them to anyone. Shennell is a highly efficient individual, replying to every query and email within hours if not minutes which we appreciated as we were one of several buyers in a chain. I’d be more than happy to recommend to anyone to use Blossom Law and Shennell in particular. All in all the usually stressful experience of house buying was smooth and straightforward.
I highly recommend this company! They have been helpful and forthcoming always! Great service and friendly members!
5 stars. Very Happy.
The service I received from Blossom Law was efficient and stress-free, I felt like Shennell was really on the ball and pushed me for information rather than the other way around which kept things moving smoothly.
In our recent move from Roundways to Keynsham we found the professional service we received from Blossom law was of a very high standard from the team, especially from Shennell Richards and Oye Edokpolor. We were kept informed regularly by email and phone of any progress being made with our move and sale. We always found the staff very helpful, professional and polite. We would be very happy to recommend Blossom Law for any future transactions, especially with the sale and purchase of property.
I was very pleased with how Blossom Law Solicitors handled the sale of my property. I received regular emails informing me of how the sale was going and any issues were resolved quickly. They were friendly and professional regarding every aspect of the sale, and I completed on the day that was agreed with no problems. I would highly recommend them.
Excellent professionalism, always keeping us updated on the process of the sale of our property. Friendly, always available to answer, clarify any queries we may have had. We could not have been happier with your service.
We had a very good experience with this firm when selling a house. Communication was good and the staff were friendly and approachable. Thank you, Ketsia and everyone at Blossom Law Solicitors.
Charlotte has been super-efficient in communication and service to our company. I have been running an estate agent for the pass 8 Years and I have not come a across any conveyance solicitors that have had us agents best of interest. I would be recommending Charlotte in the future to our clients for sure.
Absolute pleasure to deal with. Efficient service, professional conduct and record turnaround time. I will highly recommend Blossom Law to anyone looking for a firm to handle their property purchase. Thank you Oye and Charlotte!
We were very happy with the service you provided during the sale of our late mother's house. We found that the Blossom Law team were responsive, efficient and good value.
Had a lovely experience while using Blossom Law. Always approachable when needed. Can't fault anything. Will be using you all again for sure. Thanks for all your help and making the sale so easy and effortless.